Ghana’s squad for the 2022 World Cup is set to be named in October, and manager Otto Addo has hinted who could be included in his squad for the September internationals.
Ghana will face Brazil and Nicaragua in friendlies later this month as their preparation for the showpiece event in Qatar continues.
The African nation booked their place in the tournament by beating Nigeria in the qualifying play-offs, for which they qualified top of a group containing South Africa, Ethiopia and Zimbabwe.
This will be Ghana’s fourth appearance at the World Cup. The Black Stars made their debut in 2006, when they reached the round of 16. The 2010 edition saw Ghana reach the quarter-finals and come a hair’s breadth from the bottom four.
Ghana squad for the 2022 World Cup: The squad for the September friendlies against Brazil and Nicaragua
- GK: Richard Ofori (Orlando Pirates)
- GK: Joe Wollacott (Swindon)
- G: Abdul Manaf Nurudeen (Eupen)
- Defender: Denis Odoi (Club Brugge)
- Defender: Tariq Lamptey (Brighton)
- Defender: Alidu Seidu (Clermont)
- Defender: Joseph Aidoo (Celta Vigo)
- Defender: Gideon Mensah (Bordeaux)
- Defender: Daniel Amartey (Leicester)
- Defender: Alexandre Djiku (Strasbourg)
- Defender: Abdul-Rahman Baba (Reading)
- Defender: Mohammad Salisu (Southampton)
- Defender: Stephan Ambrosius (Karlsruher)
- Midfielder: Thomas Partey (Arsenal)
- Central midfielder: Iddrisu Baba (Real Mallorca)
- MF: Elisha Owusu (Gent)
- MF: Daniel-Kofi Kyereh (St Pauli)
- MF: Mohammed Kudus (Ajax)
- MF: André Ayew (Al Saad)
- Midfielder: Osman Bukari (Nantes)
- MF: Kamaldeen Sulemana (Rennes)
- MF: Daniel Afriyie Barnieh (Hearts of Oak)
- MF: Ransford-Yeboah Königsdorffer (Hamburg)
- MF: Antoine Semenyo (Bristol City)
- AT: Abdul Fatawu Issahaku (Sporting CP)
- AT: Jordan Ayew (Crystal Palace)
- AT: Felix Afena-Gyan (Roma)
- AT: Inaki Williams (Athletic Bilbao)
- AT: Benjamin Tetteh (Hull City)
How many players are Ghana allowed to take to the 2022 World Cup?
National managers were allowed to bring 26 players to last summer’s European Championship for the first time at a major tournament, as a special measure introduced due to the COVID-19 pandemic – while the Last year’s Copa America allowed teams of 28 players.
It has now been announced that 26-man squads will return for the Qatar World Cup, an extension of the usual 23-man squads.
When will Ghana’s final squad for the 2022 World Cup be announced?
The 2022 World Cup will take place in November and December. The tournament was moved from its usual June and July slot due to extreme temperatures in Qatar in the middle of the year.
National team managers must name their teams by October 20, 30 days before the opening game between Senegal and the Netherlands. Most countries will choose preliminary teams first before narrowing down their travel groups to 23 (or 26) names in time for the deadline.
Who will be in Ghana’s final squad for the 2022 World Cup?
Andre Ayew missed the play-off against Nigeria through suspension, but the veteran striker will be part of the Qatar squad. His brother Jordan, who has had a solid season for Crystal Palace, is also guaranteed a place on the plane if he is fit.
Jeff Sclupp, who plays alongside the youngest of the Ayew siblings at Selhurst Park, faces a more uncertain future after missing out on the Africa Cup of Nations.
Arsenal midfielder Thomas Partey may be Ghana’s key man at the World Cup. He has impressed with his performances for the Gunners this term and, at 28, is theoretically at the peak of his powers.
One to watch is teenage striker Abdul Fatawu Issahaku, who plies his trade at club level for Sporting CP.
Subscribe to FourFourTwo today and save more than a third off the shop price (opens in a new tab)
Stock up your kit bag with the best deals for footballers on Amazon now (opens in a new tab)
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW Qatar 2022 World Cup: Dates, Draw, Fixtures, Stadiums, Weather, Squads and Tickets
TO DRAW When will the 2022 World Cup group draw take place?