Cameroon’s squad for the 2022 World Cup is set to be named in October, and the selection for September’s friendlies offers a clue as to who might be on the plane.
Cameroon will face Uzbekistan and South Korea this month as they continue their preparation for the showpiece event in Qatar.
The Indomitable Lions booked their place in the tournament by beating Algeria in the play-offs. It was a close two-legged encounter, but Cameroon scored away goals after extra time in the second game.
This will be Cameroon’s eighth participation in the World Cup. They made their debut in 1982 but lost all three matches in Spain. Eight years later they were the surprise in Italy, beating hosts Argentina in the opening match and reaching the quarter-finals.
Cameroon missed the 2018 World Cup but have been involved in the previous two editions. However, they withdrew in the group stages in 2010 and 2014.
Cameroon squad for the 2022 World Cup: The squad for the September internationals
- GK: Simon Ngapandouetnbu (Marseille)
- GK: Quote Epassi (Abha)
- G: Andre Onana (Inter Milan)
- Defender: Nicolas Nkoulou (Aris)
- Defender: Enzo Ebosse (Udinese)
- Defender: Oumar Gonzalez (Ajaccio)
- Defender: Darlin Yongwa (Lorient)
- Defender: Nouhou Tolo (Seattle Sounders)
- Defender: Olivier Mbaizo (Philadelphia Union)
- Defender: Collins Fai (Al-Tai)
- Defender: Jean-Charles Castelletto (Nantes)
- Defender: Christopher Wooh (Rennes)
- MF: Georges Mandjeck (Nea Salamis)
- MF: Jean Onana (Lens)
- MF: Gael Ondoua (Hanover)
- FM: Samuel Gouet (Mechelen)
- MF: Pierre Kunde (Olympiacos)
- MF: Martin Hongla (Hellas Verona)
- Midfielder: Olivier Ntcham (Swansea)
- AT: Léandre Tawamba (Al-Taawoun)
- AT: Georges-Kevin Nkoudou (Besiktas)
- AT: Vincent Aboubakar (Al-Nassr)
- AT: Bryan Mbeumo (Brentford)
- AT: Jean-Pierre Nsame (Young Boys)
- AT: Karl Toko Ekambi (Lyon)
- AT: Moumi Ngamaleu (Dynamo Moscow)
How many players are Cameroon allowed to take to the 2022 World Cup?
National managers were allowed to bring 26 players to last summer’s European Championship for the first time at a major tournament, as a special measure introduced due to the COVID-19 pandemic – while the Last year’s Copa America allowed teams of 28 players.
It has now been announced that 26-man squads will return for the Qatar World Cup, an extension of the usual 23-man squads.
When will Cameroon’s final squad for the 2022 World Cup be announced?
The 2022 World Cup will take place in November and December, not June and July. It is simply not possible to organize matches in Qatar at this time of year due to the extraordinary heat.
FIFA has informed all competing nations that they must name their squads by October 20, 30 days before the start of action. Rigobert Song and his peers still have plenty of thinking time.
Who will be part of Cameroon’s final squad for the 2022 World Cup?
Vincent Aboubakar lit up the recent Africa Cup of Nations, finishing as the tournament’s top scorer with eight goals for the hosts. He plays these days in his football club in Saudi Arabia, but always knows how to put the ball in the net.
Aboubakar will be joined in attack by Lyonnais Karl Toko Ekambi, who has scored 11 goals in 49 appearances for his country.
Inter goalkeeper Andre Onana is back after a nine-month ban after testing positive for a banned substance.
British duo Oliver Ntcham and Bryan Mbeumo are on the fringes of the squad and hope to impress Rigobert Song in the coming months.
Subscribe to FourFourTwo today and save more than a third off the shop price (opens in a new tab)
Stock up your kit bag with the best deals for footballers on Amazon now (opens in a new tab)
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW Qatar 2022 World Cup: Dates, Draw, Fixtures, Stadiums, Weather, Squads and Tickets
TO DRAW When will the 2022 World Cup group draw take place?