France’s squad for the 2022 World Cup is set to be named in October, and the selection for September’s Nations League fixtures offers a clue as to who might be on the plane.
France will face Austria and Denmark this month as their preparation for the showpiece event in Qatar continues.
The June international break was disappointing for the Blues, who picked up just two points from their four Nations League matches, drawing away against Croatia and Austria.
France squad for the 2022 World Cup: The squad for the Nations League matches in September
- G: Hugo Lloris, Tottenham
- GK: Alphonse Areola, West Ham
- GK: Mike Maignan, AC Milan
- Defender: Benjamin Pavard, Bayern Munich
- Defender: Raphael Varane, Manchester United
- Defender: Theo Hernandez, AC Milan
- Defender: Benoit Badiashile, Monaco
- Defender: Ferland Mendy, Real Madrid
- Defender: Dayot Upamecano, Bayern Munich
- Defender: Jules Kounde, Barcelona
- Defender: William Saliba, Arsenal
- Defender: Jonathan Clauss, Marseille
- MF: Eduardo Camavinga, Real Madrid
- FM: Youssouf Fofana, Monaco
- FM: Matteo Guendouzi, Marseille
- MF: Aurelien Tchouameni, Real Madrid
- MF: Adrien Rabiot, Juventus
- AT: Ousmane Dembele, Barcelona
- AT: Olivier Giroud, AC Milan
- AT: Antoine Griezmann, Atletico Madrid
- AT: Randal Kolo Muani, Eintracht Frankfurt
- Attacker: Kylian Mbappé, PSG
- AT: Christopher Nkunku, RB Leipzig
How many players is France allowed to take to the 2022 World Cup?
National managers were allowed to bring 26 players to last summer’s European Championship for the first time at a major tournament, as a special measure introduced due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
It has now been announced that 26-man squads will return for the Qatar World Cup, an extension of the usual 23-man squads.
When will France’s final squad for the 2022 World Cup be announced?
The 2022 World Cup will take place from November 21 to December 18, 2022.
While hosting the next World Cup is a break from the traditional football calendar, World Cup teams are usually announced around six weeks before the start of the tournament.
This may change with club football being played closer to the tournament start date.
Who will be part of France’s final squad for the 2022 World Cup?
Barring injuries or bans, there are a few players we expect to be dead certs for Didier Deschamps’ France 2022 World Cup final squad.
Blues have an embarrassment of riches all over the pitch and there are no shortage of alternatives if Deschamps’ men of choice suffer a decline in form over the next 12 months. Even so, there are a handful of players who will almost certainly be on the plane to Qatar.
Chief among them is Hugo Lloris, the captain and goalkeeper who is closing in on Lilian Thuram’s record of 142 caps for France. Antoine Griezmann, who recently made his 100th appearance for the national team, is another who will be in the squad no matter what.
Kylian Mbappe, Raphael Varane and Paul Pogba are also sure to have a place in the traveling squad, provided they are fit.
Subscribe to FourFourTwo today (opens in a new tab) and save more than a third off the standard price.
Stock up your kit bag with the best deals for footballers on Amazon now (opens in a new tab)
LISTING Football Manager 2022: All the FM22 wonderkids you’ll need to sign
TALENT FIFA 22: The 150 best wonderkids in the game
GUIDE Best Football Gifts: Gift Ideas for Football Fans