Iran’s 2022 World Cup squad is set to be named in October, and Carlos Queiroz has hinted who could be included in his squad for September’s friendlies.
Iran will face Uruguay and Senegal this month as their preparation for the showpiece event in Qatar continues.
Team Melli booked their place in the tournament with minimal fuss, finishing top of their qualifying group with eight wins from 10 games.
This will be Iran’s sixth appearance at the World Cup. They never made it past the group stage and hope to make history this year.
Iran 2022 World Cup squad: final squad for September friendlies
- GK: Alireza Beiranvand (Persepolis)
- G: Hossein Hosseini (Esteghlal)
- G: Amir Abedzadeh (Ponferradina)
- GK: Payam Niazmand (Sepahan)
- Defender: Sadegh Moharrami (Dinamo Zagreb)
- Defender: Shojae Khalilzadeh (Al-Ahli)
- Defender: Milad Mohammadi (AEK Athens)
- Defender: Morteza Pouraliganji (Persepolis)
- Defender: Hossein Kanaanizadegan (Al-Ahli)
- Defender: Saleh Hardani (Esteghlal)
- Defender: Majid Hosseini (Kayserispor)
- Defender: Omid Noorafkan (Sepahan)
- Defender: Ramin Rezaeian (Sepahan)
- Defender: Abolfazl Jalali (Esteghlal)
- FM: Ehsan Hajsafi (AEK Athens)
- MF: Saeid Ezatolahi (Vejle)
- MF: Omid Ebrahimi (Al-Wakrah)
- MF: Ahmad Nourollahi (Shabab Al-Ahli)
- MF: Milad Sarlak (Persepolis)
- FM: Saman Ghoddos (Brentford)
- AT: Vahid Amiri (Persepolis)
- AT: Alireza Jahanbakhsh (Feyenoord)
- AT: Mehdi Taremi (Porto)
- AT: Karim Ansarifard (Omonia)
- AT: Mehdi Torabi (Persepolis)
- AT: Ali Gholizadeh (Charleroi)
- AT: Sardar Azmoun (Bayer Leverkusen)
How many players is Iran allowed to take to the 2022 World Cup?
National managers were allowed to bring 26 players to last summer’s European Championship for the first time at a major tournament, as a special measure introduced due to the COVID-19 pandemic – while the Last year’s Copa America allowed teams of 28 players.
It has now been announced that 26-man squads will return for the Qatar World Cup, an extension of the usual 23-man squads.
When will the Iran 2022 World Cup final squad be announced?
The 2022 World Cup will take place in November and December. The tournament was moved from its usual June and July slot due to the extreme summer heat in Qatar.
The deadline to confirm World Cup squads is October 20 – 30 days before the start of the competition with Senegal against the Netherlands. Teams are allowed to name their teams before this date, but most managers will want to use the maximum time available to them.
Who will be part of the Iran 2022 World Cup final squad?
Sardar Azmoun, somewhat unusually nicknamed the “Iranian Messi”, will be guaranteed a place on the plane as long as he is fit. The Bayer Leverkusen striker is Iran’s star man, having scored 40 goals in 62 outings for his country.
AEK Athens’ Ehsan Hajsafi is Iran’s captain and most experienced player. He will be vital for Queiroz’s side at the 2022 World Cup, where they were drawn in a group alongside England, USA and Wales.
Another dead cert is Alireza Beiranvand, Iran’s first-choice goalkeeper. The 30-year-old plays club football for Persepolis and will be the man between the sticks in November.
Subscribe to FourFourTwo today and save more than a third off the shop price (opens in a new tab)
Stock up your kit bag with the best deals for footballers on Amazon now (opens in a new tab)
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW Qatar 2022 World Cup: Dates, Draw, Fixtures, Stadiums, Weather, Squads and Tickets
TO DRAW When will the 2022 World Cup group draw take place?