Japan’s squad for the 2022 World Cup is set to be named in October, and the selection for September’s friendlies offers a clue as to who might be on the plane.
Japan will face the United States and Ecuador this month as their preparation for the showpiece event in Qatar continues.
The Samurai Blue booked their place in the tournament relatively comfortably, finishing second to Saudi Arabia in their qualifying group. Japan have won seven and drawn one of their 10 qualifiers.
This will be their seventh appearance at the World Cup. They debuted in 1994 and haven’t missed an edition since then. Japan have reached the round of 16 three times: at home in 2002, in South Africa in 2010 and in Russia in 2018.
Japan squad for the 2022 World Cup: The squad for the September internationals
- GK: Eiji Kawashima (Strasbourg)
- G: Kosei Tani (Shonan Bellmare)
- GK: Shuichi Gonda (Shimizu S-Pulse)
- GK: Daniel Schmidt (Saint-Truiden)
- Defender: Takehiro Tomiyasu (Arsenal)
- Defender: Shogo Taniguchi (Kawasaki Frontale)
- Defender: Yuto Nagatomo (FC Tokyo)
- Defender: Miki Yamane (Kawasaki Frontale)
- Defender: Ayumu Seko (Grasshoppers)
- Defender: Yuta Nakayama (City of Huddersfield)
- Defender: Maya Yoshida (Schalke 04)
- Defender: Hiroki Sakai (Urawa Red Diamonds)
- Defender: Hiroki Ito (Stuttgart)
- Midfielder: Gaku Shibasaki (Leganes)
- FM: Genki Haraguchi (Union Berlin)
- FM: Takumi Minamino (Monaco)
- FM: Takefusa Kubo (Real Sociedad)
- MF: Hidemasa Morita (Sporting CP)
- FM: Wataru Endo (Stuttgart)
- Midfielder: Junya Ito (Reims)
- MF: Ao Tanaka (Fortuna Dusseldorf)
- FM: Kaoru Mitoma (Brighton)
- FM: Daichi Kamada (Eintracht Frankfurt)
- MF: Ritsu Doan (Fribourg)
- MF: Reo Hatate (Celtic)
- MF: Yuki Soma (Nagoya Grampus)
- AT: Kyogo Furuhashi (Celtic)
- AT: Ayase Ueda (Circle Brugge)
- AT: Shuto Machino (Shonan Bellmare)
- AT: Daizen Maeda (Celtic)
How many players is Japan allowed to bring to the 2022 World Cup?
National managers were allowed to bring 26 players to last summer’s European Championship for the first time at a major tournament, as a special measure introduced due to the COVID-19 pandemic – while the Last year’s Copa America allowed teams of 28 players.
It has now been announced that 26-man squads will return for the Qatar World Cup, an extension of the usual 23-man squads.
When will Japan’s final squad for the 2022 World Cup be announced?
The World Cup usually takes place in June and July. However, the next edition will take place in November and December, as it is too hot to play football in Qatar in the summer.
FIFA has announced an October 20 deadline for nominating teams. Most managers, including Hajime Moriyasu, will choose a preliminary squad before narrowing it down to 23 (or 26) names.
Who will be part of the final team of the Japan 2022 World Cup?
Takumi Minamino remains a full-fledged player for his country. The attacking midfielder is guaranteed a spot in the Japan 2022 World Cup squad as long as he is fit. Arsenal defender Takehiro Tomiyasu will represent the Premier League.
Genki Haraguchi and Gaku Shibasaki can also be confident enough to earn a spot on the plane, while veteran defensive duo Yuto Nagatomo and Maya Yoshida will be vital figures for Hajime Moriyasu’s team.
Celtic strikers Kyogo Furuhashi and Daizen Maeda have been left out of the March qualifiers squad but are hoping to play in Qatar.
Subscribe to FourFourTwo today and save more than a third off the shop price (opens in a new tab)
Stock up your kit bag with the best deals for footballers on Amazon now (opens in a new tab)
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW Qatar 2022 World Cup: Dates, Draw, Fixtures, Stadiums, Weather, Squads and Tickets
TO DRAW When will the 2022 World Cup group draw take place?