The Netherlands squad for the 2022 World Cup is set to be named in October, and the selection for September’s Nations League fixtures offers a clue as to who might be on the plane.
The Netherlands will face Poland and Belgium this month as their preparation for the showpiece event in Qatar continues.
Van Gaal’s side won three of their four games in June in impressive fashion, beating Wales twice, beating Belgium 4-1 and drawing with Poland 2-2.
Netherlands squad for World Cup 2022: The squad for the Nations League September fixtures
- GK: Andries Noppert, Heerenveen
- GK: Jasper Cillessen, NEC
- GK: Mark Flekken, Freiburg
- GK: Remko Pasveer, Ajax
- Defender: Devyne Rensch, Ajax
- Defender: Nathan Ake, Manchester City
- Defender: Daley Blind, Ajax
- Defender: Matthijs de Ligt, Bayern Munich
- Defender: Stefan de Vrij, Inter
- Defender: Denzel Dumfries, Inter
- Defender: Tyrell Malacia, Manchester United
- Defender: Virgil van Dijk, Liverpool
- Defender: Jurrien Timber, Ajax
- Defender: Bruno Martins Indi, AZ
- FM: Frenkie de Jong, Barcelona
- MF: Davy Klaassen, Ajax
- MF: Marten de Roon, Atalanta
- FM: Teun Koopmeiners, Atalanta
- Midfielder: Kenneth Taylor, Ajax
- Central midfielder: Steven Berghuis, Ajax
- AT: Steven Bergwijn, Tottenham
- AT: Memphis Depay, Barcelona
- AT: Wout Weghorst, Besiktas
- AT: Cody Gakpo, PSV
- AT: Vincent Janssen, Royal Antwerp
How many players are the Netherlands allowed to bring to the 2022 World Cup?
National managers were allowed to bring 26 players to last summer’s European Championship for the first time at a major tournament, as a special measure introduced due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
It has now been announced that 26-man squads will return for the Qatar World Cup, an extension of the usual 23-man squads.
When will the final Netherlands squad for the 2022 World Cup be announced?
The 2022 World Cup will take place from November 21 to December 18, 2022.
While hosting the next World Cup is a break from the traditional football calendar, World Cup teams are usually announced around six weeks before the start of the tournament.
This may change with club football being played closer to the tournament start date.
Who will be in the Netherlands final squad for the 2022 World Cup?
Barring injuries or bans, we expect a few players to be dead certs for Louis van Gaal’s final Netherlands 2022 World Cup squad.
Virgil van Dijk missed Euro 2020 with an ACL injury and he will be desperate to make up for lost time in Qatar. The Liverpool (opens in a new tab) the central defender may be one of the best players in the world in his position, but he has never played in an international tournament.
Frenkie de Jong, Matthijs de Ligt and Memphis Depay will almost certainly represent the Dutch in 2022 provided they are fit.
Subscribe to FourFourTwo today (opens in a new tab) and save more than a third off the standard price.
Stock up your kit bag with the best deals for footballers on Amazon now (opens in a new tab)
LISTING Football Manager 2022: All the FM22 wonderkids you’ll need to sign
TALENT FIFA 22: The 150 best wonderkids in the game
GUIDE Best Football Gifts: Gift Ideas for Football Fans