Germany’s squad for the 2022 World Cup is set to be named in October, and the selection for September’s Nations League fixtures offers a clue as to who might be on the plane.
Germany will face Hungary and England this month as they continue their preparation for the showpiece event in Qatar.
Last time out in June, Germany recorded three straight 1-1 draws against their three Nations League opponents, before beating Italy 5-2 in their last match.
Germany squad for the 2022 World Cup: The squad for the Nations League September matches
- GK: Manuel Neuer, Bayern Munich
- GK: Kevin Trapp, Eintracht Frankfurt
- GK: Marc-Andre ter Stegen, Barcelona
- Defender: Thilo Kehrer, West Ham
- Defender: Niklas Sule, Borussia Dortmund
- Defender: Benjamin Henrichs, RB Leipzig
- Defender: David Raum, RB Leipzig
- Defender: Antonio Rudiger, Real Madrid
- Defender: Nico Schlotterbeck, Borussia Dortmund
- Defender: Matthias Ginter, Freiburg
- Defender: Robin Gosens, Inter Milan
- Defender: Armel Bella-Kotchap, Southampton
- MF: Joshua Kimmich, Bayern Munich
- MF: Jonas Hofmann, Borussia Monchengladbach
- MF: Julian Brandt, Borussia Dortmund
- MF: Leon Goretzka, Bayern Munich
- MF: Ilkay Gundogan, Manchester City
- MF: Kai Havertz, Chelsea
- MF: Jamal Musiala, Bayern Munich
- AT: Lukas Nmecha, Wolfsburg
- AT: Timo Werner, RB Leipzig
- AT: Leroy Sane, Bayern Munich
- AT: Thomas Muller, Bayern Munich
- AT: Serge Gnabry, Bayern Munich
How many players is Germany allowed to take to the 2022 World Cup?
National managers were allowed to bring 26 players to last summer’s European Championship for the first time at a major tournament, as a special measure introduced due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
It has now been announced that 26-man squads will return for the Qatar World Cup, an extension of the usual 23-man squads.
When will Germany’s final squad for the 2022 World Cup be announced?
The 2022 World Cup will take place from November 21 to December 18, 2022.
While hosting the next World Cup is a break from the traditional football calendar, World Cup squads are usually announced around six weeks before the tournament starts.
This may change with club football being played closer to the tournament start date.
Who will be in Germany’s final squad for the 2022 World Cup?
Barring injuries or bans, there are a few players we think will be dead for Hansi Flick’s final Germany 2022 World Cup squad.
Next year’s edition will certainly be Manuel Neuer’s last World Cup, but it’s hard to see the Bayern Munich keeper losing the No.1 shirt over the next few months.
Thomas Muller and Ilkay Gundogan, two of the other survivors of the team that lifted the trophy in Brazil seven years ago, are also virtually guaranteed a place on the plane to Doha.
Joshua Kimmich is one of the top names on the Germany squad roster these days and we can expect to see him line up for Die Mannschaft in Qatar, either as a midfielder or a full-back. Antonio Rudiger, Serge Gnabry, Niklas Sule and Kai Havertz will certainly achieve this too.
Subscribe to FourFourTwo today (opens in a new tab) and save more than a third off the standard price.
Stock up your kit bag with the best deals for footballers on Amazon now (opens in a new tab)
LISTING Football Manager 2022: All the FM22 wonderkids you’ll need to sign
TALENT FIFA 22: The 150 best wonderkids in the game
GUIDE Best Football Gifts: Gift Ideas for Football Fans