Serbia’s squad for the 2022 World Cup is set to be named in October, and the selection for September’s Nations League fixtures gives a clue as to who might be on the plane.
Serbia will face Sweden and Norway this month as their preparation for the showpiece event in Qatar continues.
Dragan Stojkovic’s side qualified for the tournament in impressive fashion, topping a group including Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Luxembourg and Azerbaijan, and went unbeaten throughout the campaign .
The Eagles failed to qualify for Euro 2020 which shows the great job Stojkovic has done since taking charge of the national team last year.
This will be Serbia’s second World Cup appearance as an independent country, although they were part of the Serbia and Montenegro squad that competed in 2010. Serbia also inherited Yugoslavia’s record in Previous World Cups.
Serbia squad for the 2022 World Cup: The squad for the Nations League September matches
- G: Marko Dmitrovic (Sevilla)
- G: Vanja Milinkovic-Savic (Turin)
- GK: Marko Ilic (Kortrijk)
- Defender: Stefan Mitrovic (Getafe)
- Defender: Filip Mladenovic (Legia Warsaw)
- Defender: Strahinja Pavlovic (Salzburg)
- Defender: Milos Veljkovic (Werder Bremen)
- Defender: Aleksa Terzic (Fiorentina)
- Defender: Erhan Masovic (Bochum)
- Defender: Strahinja Erakovic (Red Star Belgrade)
- Defender: Srdan Babic (Almeria)
- Central midfielder: Dusan Tadic (Ajax)
- MF: Nemanja Gudelj (Sevilla)
- FM: Filip Kostic (Juventus)
- Central midfielder: Nemanja Maksimovic (Getafe)
- Midfielder: Filip Duricic (Sampdoria)
- Central midfielder: Nemanja Radonjic (Turin)
- Central midfielder: Sergej Milinkovic-Savic (Lazio)
- FM: Sasa Lukic (Turin)
- Midfielder: Andrija Zivkovic (PAOK)
- MF: Stefan Mitrovic (Red Star Belgrade)
- FM: Uros Racic (Braga)
- MF: Ivan Ilic (Hellas Verona)
- MF: Darko Lazovic (Hellas Verona)
- AT: Aleksandar Mitrovic (Fulham)
- AT: Luka Jovic (Fiorentina)
- AT: Dusan Vlahovic (Juventus)
How many players are Serbia allowed to take to the 2022 World Cup?
National managers were allowed to bring 26 players to last summer’s European Championship for the first time at a major tournament, as a special measure introduced due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
It has now been announced that 26-man squads will return for the Qatar World Cup, an extension of the usual 23-man squads.
When will the Serbia 2022 World Cup final squad be announced?
FIFA has set October 20 as the deadline for submitting player lists. It’s 30 days before the official start of the tournament with Senegal against the Netherlands.
Dragan Stojkovic, along with most of his peers, is likely to name a preliminary squad first, before whittling down the squad to the required number in time for the deadline.
Who will be part of the Serbia 2022 World Cup final squad?
Despite a lack of club playing time in recent seasons, Fiorentina leader Luka Jovic remains an important player for his country.
Additional firepower is provided by Aleksandar Mitrovic, who has an impressive record of 46 goals in 74 appearances for the national team, and Juventus star Dusan Vlahovic.
Lazio attacking midfielder Sergej Milinkovic-Savic will bring creativity and craftiness, while captain Dusan Tadic is still an integral part of the 33-year-old squad.
Subscribe to FourFourTwo today and save more than a third off the shop price (opens in a new tab)
Stock up your kit bag with the best deals for footballers on Amazon now (opens in a new tab)
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW Qatar 2022 World Cup: Dates, Draw, Fixtures, Stadiums, Weather, Squads and Tickets
TO DRAW When will the 2022 World Cup group draw take place?